I saw this great post on FB this week, and it hit home for me, because it’s something I really believe in.
I think part of it is due to my mindfulness practice (which encourages noticing all the small things), but maybe more because I’ve found that it’s doing this that brings real happiness.
My belief is that you should have lots of things in your life that make you happy – all the small moments combined should bring you a sense of gratitude and satisfaction. And if they don’t then it’s probably time to look at why, and what you can do to change it.
Life isn’t always sunshine and rainbows – actually from my experience it’s usually the opposite – but if you can focus on the small things that you love then it balances it all out.
For me personally the things that have made me happy this week are:
- Going to the shops as a family and buying beautiful fresh fruit and vegetables for the week. I’ve found a great fruit shop that sells the most beautiful fruit – it’s always such fantastic quality. And things like that give me so much happiness. I adore my fruit and vegetables and knowing I have a fridge full of the loveliest produce makes me really happy.
- Nourishing my soul with classical music. I work from home, so I have the freedom to listen to whatever I like to during the day. And lately I’ve been listening to cello music. It’s something Mr ISFS and I both have a passion for. I just love having it on in the background as I work.
- Books. I’ve always been a huge bookworm since I could read. Sometimes I find I get too busy with other things to read much, but it’s always such a joy to go back to it. On Thursday during lunch I sat with my feet up, a cup of tea, my cello music playing, and a new book to read, and it was (to me) the idea of perfection.
- Sharing my favourite takeout (noodles) with Mr ISFS. This is something that we have always done – shared our favourite takeout together at least once a month. We are trying to save for a house, so we are mostly budgeting very carefully, but once a month we splurge and get all our favourites – Kway Teow, Garlic Prawns, Special Fried Rice, and spring rolls.
- Valentine’s Day. Today has a heightened meaning for me today, and it’s been a chance to realise how truly blessed I am. I bought Mr ISFS a 1st edition copy of DeadPool (the comic), and he bought me a pair of amethyst earrings. They have such special meaning for me as he picked them specially as they are my birthstone, and he knows how much I love them. But the gifts are really only a very minor part of the day – the day is a reaffirmation for me of how much I love the life we have built together, and how much it means to me.
I am struggling with some personal issues at the moment (health related), but it’s focusing on these small things that makes my life full, and I realise how truly blessed I am.