“Everything changes, nothing remains without change.” The Buddha
The one thing that I struggle with – still – is a resistance to change.
As a Buddhist, I can understand the concept of impermanence.
However I’ve had many years of good practice as a control freak, and it’s a hard habit to release.
I thought I would dedicate today’s post to reminding myself why change is firstly unavoidable, and secondly – a positive thing ♥
Top reasons why change is good:
- Change is exciting. There are countless possibilities in each new situation.
- Change brings opportunity. If you decide to make it a positive, fun, and enjoyable experience, then that is what it will be.
- Without change there is no adventure.
How to overcome resistance to change:
“Smile, breathe and go slowly.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- Accept that you can’t control everything.
- Be aware of your thoughts regarding a fear of change. Then let them go.
- Accept things as they are.
- Breathe deeply.
- View change as a series of small events.
- Enjoy life as a flow of change, chaos and beauty.
- Focus outwardly instead of inwardly
For me personally, I have noticed that when I am anxious and depressed I am entirely inwardly focused.
If I can shift my focus outwards – towards others, or other activities, then I notice a big sense of relief. And of “perspective”.
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them – that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” – Lao-Tzu
Be not afraid