Today I’ve spent the day feeling a little flat, and have been puzzling over why – as that is not like me at all.
Finally it occurred to me – I am simply drained.
I am so passionate about helping others, and doing everything I can to do make the world a better, kinder and more loving place.
And there are never enough hours in the day 🙂
So today, I needed to remind myself to turn some of that loving kindness towards myself.
It’s easy to get carried away with spending our time doing things for other people. We also need to make sure that we are not depleting ourselves.
So here are some tips for getting your bounce back…
- Make sure you get enough sleep. Which is an obvious one, but it’s easy to put aside when you are busy. How much sleep we actually need is very individual – personally I find 7 hours is the perfect amount for me. But everyone’s bodies have different requirements. And make sure it’s quality sleep – avoid coffee and other caffeinated drinks after 3pm. Try to make your bedroom a ‘electronic free’ zone. So no tv’s, no clock radios (if possible).
- Eat well. Avoid processed foods. Eat more natural foods, more vegetables, more fruit.
- Make time to disengage from the world. Turn off your phone, close your front door. Make time for yourself without interruptions.
- Make time for laziness. You don’t have to be constantly achieving (I should tattoo this one on my forehead). Allow yourself time for non-productive and FUN activities. Watch hilariously bad TV (CSI Miami comes to mind), lie on the couch, listen to music.
- Do the little things that make you happy. Light candles around the house, treat yourself to a massage, or your favourite take-out.
- Indulge in creativity. Knit, sew, scrapbook, make jewellery, paint, take photographs. Whatever you find creatively soothing.
- Buy fresh flowers, just for you.
- Spend time outdoors – walking, gardening playing sport.
- Be spontaneous and outrageous.
- buy the good icecream!!
Don’t just do something, sit there